Start Date: May 18, 2018
End Date: May 18, 2018
Friday Late: Swinging Sixties
Friday 18 May 2018
18:45 to 22:00 (last admission 21:15)
Immerse yourself in the revolutionary world of the 1960s at London Transport Museum’s Friday Late on the evening of 18 May. Inspired by the Museum’s Poster Girls – a century of art and design exhibition, with bars and 60s sounds played by the Museum’s resident DJ – the Museum of Vinyl, guests can experience vintage girl power and iconic art movements through curated lectures, tours and workshops. Guests can also enjoy a two for £12 offer on the Museum’s Flower Power cocktails, specially created to celebrate the decade of peace and love.
Talks and tours
- Dare to Bare – hear how Sixties youth style started a new wave of women’s liberation. Jenna Rossi-Camus, recent co-curator of T-Shirt Cult, Culture, Subversion at the Fashion and Textile Museum will be asking whether fashion can act as a form of protest
- Free to be You & Me – a presentation of rare archive material showing images of revolutionary Sixties youth culture
- You’ve Come a Long Way, Baby – freelance journalist Lucy Handley will discuss how the portrayal of women in advertising has shifted over the decades and whether it has evolved far enough during this illustrated talk
- Curator’s tour – of the At Your Service poster parade display which celebrates pioneering women working for London’s transport system over the last century
- Botanical Inks – create a hand printed silk cloth using natural bundle-dying techniques with fresh flowers and plant materials
- Embellished Talk – embrace a time when clothing patches become a symbol of love and peaceful protest; stitch you own embroidered patch. Create a fresh design or use a specially created template
- Poetic Sounds of the 60s – Poet Abigail Parry will whisk you away on a whirlwind tour through this diverse and colourful era for women’s verse, a time that energized the poetry scene with revolutionary politics, feminism and Bohemian counter- cultural zeal
- Exhibitions: Poster Girls – a century of art and design
- Visit the Poster Girls exhibition which features over 150 stunning posters and original artworks and showcases female poster designers over the last 100 years
- Take an immersive journey into the fascinating history of tunnelling in the Museum’s new Digging Deeper Discover stories of remarkable engineering feats, the working conditions of the 19th century and early engineering pioneers.
- The Secret Life of a Megaproject – uncover the lesser-known stories about the Crossrail project, one of Europe’s largest civil engineering projects
The Swinging Sixties Friday Late opens at 18:45 on 18 May and runs until 22:00 (with last admission at 21:15). Tickets cost £15 and concessions cost £12. Book one ticket and get a ticket for the 1980s themed Friday Late on 26 October half price. Enter code April1960. Offer valid until 30 April.
To book tickets in advance go to www.ltmuseum.co.uk/friday-lates. For advance booking information, call +44 (0)20 7565 7298.