October 10, 2014
The Connection at St Martin’s in partnership with St Mungo’s Broadway and The Passage have been awarded a 3 year contract to deliver an exciting new service to assist rough sleepers across the City of Westminster.
The new service is called the Westminster Contact and Assessment Service (CAS) and its aim is to reduce the number of people sleeping on the streets of Westminster by identifying appropriate routes off the streets.
The CAS will focus on three main areas:
- Prevention – We will have a dedicated worker responding to calls and emails, assisting people to find the right services and help to avoid coming onto the streets.
- Rapid Response – a team of 6 within the CAS will work through the night, every night, responding to referrals from rough sleepers, charities, businesses and members of the public by visiting street locations throughout the City. Our rapid response to those new to the streets or returning will aim to ensure no one needs to spend another night out.
- Casework – for those rough sleepers with more complex cases and possibly multiple needs, our 12 caseworkers will work with them either on the streets or in day centres to ensure that through further assessment and multi people out of homelessness.
We really value the contribution that our local community (businesses and residents) can have in helping us tackle rough sleeping and so we would like to flag up a few important points:
- If you are concerned about a person who is rough sleeping in Westminster please email firstname.lastname@example.org which will trigger an action plan for the CAS.
- Please do not give money to people begging, for more information see http://www.connection-at-stmartins.org.uk/help.
- If you would like to visit our day centre to see for yourself how our service operates or join the CAS on an outreach shift please contact email@example.com.
- If you are concerned about anti-social behaviour caused by people who appear to be rough sleeping please dial 101 the non-emergency Metropolitan Police line.
If you are interested in volunteering or donating to our organisation please let see our website for more info http://www.connection-at-stmartins.org.uk/